Wednesday 13 August 2014

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch and Review

I'm here! I am skipping around throwing around confetti! And training materials! And schedules! And photos! And all sorts of other managerial things! But... I also wanted to update this blog because my backlog is growing and I don't really like it when it's growing. I've got a bit of an older one from Digital Nails today. (You can check out Raph's shop over at Etsy here!) This one is a love child between Mish of the lovely Accio Lacquer and Digital Nails. Seeing that Mish is a fellow Potterhead, I knew she would make this Slytherin cosplayer happy!

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

From Digital Nails: Sectumsempra was invented by none other than Severus Snape. This spell send deep cuts into your enemies, allowing the flicks and swished of your wand to inflict sword-like cuts. This polish's inspiration was sent to me via Mish @ Accio Lacquer. I aksed Mishka if she was comfortable with being my Harry Potter consultant, complete with a consulting fee! She jumped at the chance and a few weeks later sent me an email with a few spells, and why they were so important to her. This one resonated with me particularly because I love the love hate relationship with Snape throughout the books, and this spell in particular represents his tortured soul. The love he had for Lily, the bitterness when she left his side as his best friend, they way they all mistreated and bullied him in his Hogwarts years. Knowing all of this, the idea of protecting with your very life the young boy who is representative of the relationship that stole away the light of your life - that kind of conflict creates a sad and profoundly deep character - just one of them that makes the HP series so wonderful and full of emotional impact.

This burgundy leaning oxblood jelly is full of specraflair, and is worn above at two coats, with the exception of one on the pinky nails to show the opacity. It flashes a full rainbow spectrum in sunlight and transitions to a deep blackened red in the shadows.

This polish looks great with a super shiny topcoat, and I recommend a quick dry topcoat like our Ain't Nobody Got Time For That (ultra fast dry topcoat) to really bring out the holographic goodness. It's a stunner in the sunlight! The bottle is 15ml & it looks fantastic on your toes!

Always, my polishes are 3 free, which means I don't use any ingredients that contain toluene, formaldehyde, or dibutyl phthalate. These polishes are made in small batches and may ever so slightly vary between them.


I love this polish. The thing with Digital Nails is that even for a polish hoarder, there is SOOOOOO much replay value on her polishes. They're wonderfully thought out, well formulated and durable as fuck. After a week, this one was still going strong and I was just tempted to wear it again!

I wore two coats, which went on smoothly and wonderfully and topped it off with Seche Vite.

Here's some sun photos but holographic polishes definitely call for it!

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

And here's some lightbox photos as well. You can really see the red wine-like tones come out. I love that this polish doesn't rely on being holographic to look good. It looks just as awesome indoors and in the shade.

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

Digital Nails Sectumsempra Swatch

Overall, Digital Nails Sectumsempra kicks ASS. I LOVE the name, I love what the ode is about and I love the shade. It's perfect. When I cosplay as a Slytherin student, I always wore vampy shades but I think I'm just going to default to this. There's nothing like a bit of magic like that holographic goodness!

If you like this polish, or any of the other Digital Nails polishes I've shared, be sure to check out Raph's shop as well as follow along on Facebook and Instagram for news and updates!

What do you think of Sectumsempra? Will you add this as one of your favourite Harry Potter tribute polishes?

Full disclosure: This sample was provided for an unbiased review.

5 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this colour, gah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, this is the perfect tribute to such a creepy incantation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing nail polish! I love the name!!

    ReplyDelete