Wednesday 9 April 2014

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch and Review (Bonus: Rainbow Honey Poffin Party Swatch)

I can't believe it but I can't believe that I have about a week left until I leave to Europe for a month! Gahhh it's coming up so soon and because I was sick for two weeks, I am so behind, ahhhhh!!! #firstworldproblems But nonetheless, I am really excited because I am going to try and get back to a place where I'm taking photos out of passion again. I am bringing the smallest amount of clothes and packing cameras! I'll definitely miss having my nail polish too - so I think I am going to try and locate a bottle of OPI Nail Envy Matte over yonder and bring my cuticle creams. It's gonna be cray - so I'll try to update this blog as much as I can during the next week and update once a week as well. ANYHOO, today I've got a nice spring shade!

This is Rainbow Honey Swordlily, from the Midnight Garden collection. It's a purple light magenta toned polish with a ton of gold flakes. The flakes are gorgeous! The formula was great, only took two coats for full coverage. Here's my swatch without top coat:

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch

Honestly, I love this colour. It's perfect for spring - and very pretty. I think that my skintone, however, is not best suited with this shade. It kind of sucks, but that doesn't mean that I don't love this colour! I'm going to have to play around with perhaps incorporating it with nail art - I can see some awesome ideas pairing it with black.

Aaaaand the bonus swatch... I got Rainbow Honey Poffin Party with my February Mystery Bag. It's a clear suspension base packed with shimmer, and multi-sized pink, yellow, green, orange, blue circle glitter and pink square glitters. Here's Rainbow Honey Poffin Party without any top coat:

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party and no top coat)

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party and no top coat)

Welp, I am going to have to be honest with myself and say: I don't like this polish. I feel bad - I want to like this polish, it looked very cute in the bottle, the colours go so well together - it's based on Pokemon! But... I don't like this polish. What's not to love? The large circle glitters really ruined it for me: They're absurdly thick, and they look as though the colours have been printed on so from a side view, you can see the whites of the material, and the flat side looks streaky. I hate to say this, I really do - I love Rainbow Honey and this will sadly not be a full sized bottle that I will be purchasing. I have a full collection but I just can't see myself wanting to use this polish.

I tried to resolve the thick glitter syndrome by using two coats of Seche Vite, but sadly they were still so thick on the nail. Here's some swatches of that:

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party)

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party)

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party)

Rainbow Honey Swordlily Swatch (with Rainbow Honey Poffin Party)

What do you think of Swordlily - do you have any spring time favourite nail polishes in your collection? What do you think of Poffin Party? Have you dealt with this type of thick glitter before?

12 comments:

  1. I really like Swordlily but I 100% agree with your thoughts on Poffin party, they legit look like sprinkles off of a cupcake and so not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so butthurt about this polish. I really love Rainbow Honey, though - but I dunno, I am glad that a lot of people aren't bothered by it however - I am just not about to pretend that it doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  2. Hi! ....bravo!!! I absolutely love both polishes an I love the combination of Sword Lily & Poffin Party! They make a great mani! :D
    I have dealt with this type of circle matte glitter before with another indie, Hocus Pocus by Trelly Polish and I don't really mind it. Yes, it's thicker than your average glitter but it looks so pretty I just don't care! (Yes, I'm a glitter enthusiast :P) The only downside of that kind of glitter IMO, is that it is twice as hard to remove :(
    I can't wait to get my hands on some more RHs I'm a big fan of the brand as well and that's how I (recently) discovered your blog -and I love it!-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a super glitter enthusiast too - I loooooove Different Dimension's glitters, WOWOHWOW but man this one was just SO hard to work with. I find that bigger glitters in general are harder to remove - even heart and butterfly glitter were stuck on my nails after using foil methods. Someone suggested on my Facebook page to try Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food, but I honestly hope that Rainbow Honey comes out with a similar product. All glitterbomb companies should have something like this to make their polishes look their best! Ah well, honestly, I still love the idea of Poffin Party and yeah it bugs me, but for the most part a lot of people don't seem to mind, which is all the better for RH.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of Poffin Party (I mean, giant circle glitter, yes please?) but they really look like they're too thick. The white part in the middle is kinda weird too... BUT I have to say I like it a lot with two coats of Seche :)

    And may I be a total creepy creeper and ask where in Europe you're going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good giant circle glitter exists! Different Dimension Orion Nebula has amazing giant circles but I think maybe it's just hard to find good *matte* circle glitter. I honestly haven't seen anything and this type of glitter is fairly common but I am just super not a fan.

      Also not creepy at all. <3 I'll be headed over to Ireland and do a whole trip around including Northern Ireland, and then I'm headed for a quick stint in London, Paris and Cornwall. :D :D Should be fun, but I will miss doing my nails for certain!

      Delete
  4. While Poffin Party isn't my favorite, Sword Lily is!! I love it an I agree, it's just perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man you ROCKED Swordlily - it was your swatch that inspired me to use it right away! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow, Swordlilly is gorgeous! I wasn't a huge fan of the Midnight Garden collection online, but seeing it worn like this is really changing my mind!

    As for Poffin Party, I actually really liked it- and I'm normally bothered by the barest hint of texture on my manicures! The name and cute color scheme make up for the thickness of the glitter for me, but I'd frankly be a little afraid to wear it out- I can see that glitter getting caught on something and popping off way too easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I wasn't too sold on the Midnight Garden collection right away but they grew on me REALLY fast! I love the whole collection minus Foxglove Foxtrot which has the same circle glitters. I guess I just don't like those circle glitters. I feel bad but they really don't look good on my nail. :(

      But I am glad that everyone else is enjoying Poffin Party - I am definitely missing out!

      Delete
  6. You're going to Europe for a month? What??? I'm so jealous!!!

    Swordlilly is beautiful! Such a perfect shade for spring. But I agree with you about Poffin Party, I'm not a fan either. Maybe if they were all small circles? The colour mix sure is fun, but I've never been a fan of big glitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot yeah I am! I will check in on this blog once in a while but won't be doing these 4 days a week posts taht I've been able to do for the last little while, whoops!

      Haha happy we see eye to eye on those glitters - I am just thinking though... If you use 4 coats of top coat on your normal glitters... How much would you use for a mega thick one?! Whaaaaaa!!!

      Delete